Social media is a great tool to amplify the reach of your content and drive quality traffic back to your website.
However, as with all traffic-building tactics, building a social media presence that achieves these goals requires a strategic approach and lots of hard work.
To help make your job as a social media manager a bit easier, we’ll look at some ways you can use social media to attract quality followers and encourage them to visit your website by clicking on one of your posts or your profile.
First, let’s look at a few high-level social media stats.
- There are over 5 billion people on the Internet
- 4.7 billion people are actively using social media
Before you get too excited, I want to add a little note.
Not all 4.7 billion social media users fall within your target audience. The good news, however, is that 4.7 billion is a huge number, so there’s a good chance that at least a nice chunk of that number represents people who might be interested in what you have to offer
So, with that in mind, it’s essential to develop a deeper understanding of where your target audience hangs out when they’re online so that you can target them on the proper channels with the right content.
To help you get started, let’s look at those numbers broken down a bit more by looking at users by channel. Here are some stats showing how many users are active on 11 of the hottest social media sites worldwide.
Many social media channels are available, and new ones seem to be popping up every day. So, to ensure you’re utilizing them most effectively, driving the most traffic, and using your resources most efficiently, make sure you understand these things first.
- Have clear goals and objectives
- Without having a vision for what you want to achieve with your social media marketing, you can’t possibly hope to achieve success.
- Take inventory of your resources
- Social media doesn’t manage itself, so you must define who is going to manage your social media channels and how much time that person (or team) has to do so
- Pay attention to mobile
- According to mobile marketing statistics, most people in the US spend at least 5 hours on their mobile devices each day
- With all of the most popular social media channels offering their platforms in the form of an app, it’s key that your business is on social media these days
- Understand your audience
- Narrow down your efforts to specific channels where your target audience actual hangs out to avoid wasting time and money
- Determine optimal posting times and scheduling
- There are thousands of articles offering insight into this, but one of the best ways I find to figure out when your audience is most active is to start posting and then analyze the results
- Look at what times and days you’re seeing the most engagement on your social media posts, and then try to focus your efforts around those times
Now that you have laid the groundwork, it’s time to start managing your channels and driving quality traffic back to your site. Here are a few tips to make that happen.
- Post consistently
- Once you commit to using social media, you must post consistently
- This refers to both the frequency of posting and the style of posting
- Engage and join the conversation
- One critical key to growing your audience and getting your own content shared is engaging with others’ content on their social media channels
- The more you engage, the more facetime you get for your brand, and the greater the chances your content will be seen and ultimately shared
- Use trending and relevant hashtags
- Hashtags aren’t a thing on all social media channels, but on the ones where they are a thing, they can be very useful
- Dropping a trending hashtag or two into your posts can help more users see your content, just be sure that the hashtag is relevant to the subject matter you present and the brand you’re trying to build (don’t use off-topic hashtags just because they’re trending)
- Get a little help from your friends
- There’s no need to go it alone when you’re managing social media channels for your business
- There are plenty of like-minded marketing professionals looking to boost the performance of their social media channels as well, so create collaborative relationships and help each other’s content reach further
Consider this article your foundation for building a high-quality, high-impact social media presence. It doesn’t stop here. There are a lot of other great tactics you can use to drive quality traffic to your site, so keep reading and learning, and you’ll start to see the results roll in!
- Consulting for Change: How Change Management Experts Drive Growth and Innovation - September 8, 2023
- ChatGPT Prompts – 4 Sources of Inspiration - April 7, 2023
- The Savvy Marketing Agency Guide to Wild Growth in 2023 - January 23, 2023