With a background in Psychology, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the clear connection between psychology and content marketing.
Content marketing experts the likes of Brian Clark of Copyblogger.com/ Rainmaker Digital, Joe Pulizzi, Founder of The Content Marketing Institute, and high-end blogger Neil Patel, at one point or another have all expressed a belief in the importance of psychology in content marketing. Creating quality content and really having an impact involves a combination of persuasive psychology, established authority, relevance and influence.
In this article, I’ll offer 9 high-impact strategies that can really help you boost your traffic from search and keep your readers engaged. Psychology, on some level, plays a role in each of them.
1. Create Buyer Personas to Target Your Communications
Understanding your target audience and segmenting your email lists to help you target each segment more effectively can lead to increased stats such as conversions, website traffic and others that are critical to your success. To really develop an understanding of your different segments, dig in deep and create buyer personas for each one.
Here’s an example of a buyer persona to help you understand what you should include.
- Name: Mark
- Age: 35-year-old
- Gender: Male
- Roles: Health food store owner, marketing manager, lead sales person.
- Market: B2C, memberships, highly energized business owners customer health & fitness advocates.
- Marketing Solutions: Online campaigns, blogging on website
- Internal Drivers: Desires to socially interact with customers on a one-on-one basis. Values trust, and respects making positive connections and a hazard-free environment. Fears losing customers, being too aggressive while interacting and not being highly effective in his business.
By creating content aimed at the different needs and desires of your target personas, you can ensure that you are sending the right content to someone like Mark, while in turn sending different, more targeted content to someone who fits within a different buyer persona.
2. Craft Content Based on Your Core Values
Storytelling can help you relate to your target audience. It’s very effective. From a personal standpoint, it takes less effort to describe something in detail based on what you know and believe.
Hubspot believes in using great logic in order to solve problems for its customers. “We’d rather be failing frequently than never trying” is core to the company’s believe system.
- Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.”
- Great people want direction on where they’re going — not directions on how to get there.
- Influence should be independent of hierarchy.
- Results should matter more than when or where they are produced.
- You shouldn’t penalize the many for the mistakes of the few.
The Content Marketing Institute believes that there are more effective ways for brands to market now than they’ve done previously.
This is accomplished by:
- Showcasing your expertise
- Gain Intense Instructions
- Writing for us
- Ideas & Inspiration
- Sound Advice
- Fun Learning
- Marketing Leadership
- Learning & Implementing Effective Content Strategies
3. Create More Landing Pages
Landing page content is a great opportunity to appeal to your target audience and convince them to hand over their contact info in exchange for a valuable piece of content. The easiest (and often most effective) way you can create quality landing pages is to use templates. Services like Instapage and Unbounce are excellent options to make this happen.
When designing your landing pages you must think tactfully about keywords and develop your content around them. Think about the needs of your target audience and the challenges they face and then offer content that addresses those needs and challenges as an incentive to fill out a contact form.
Think about how you are using keywords in the copy you write for your landing pages. Brian Clark of Copyblogger creates plenty of landing pages, and each one is founded on a keyword that the target audience greatly admires.
Another example of designing high-quality landing pages and incorporating keywords is Nuffield Health. They generated 60% more in revenue by maximizing the proper keywords.
4. Always Conduct An A/B Test
A/B experiments can generate more focused buyers to your product pages. For instance, Lyti.com, an internet executive software business, conducted an A/B test on their landing pages.
As a result of their testing, their innovation page operated much better.
The test specifically revealed features granted in all the plans and revealed that the basic design didn’t accomplish the original intent of the company.
Conducting this A/B test resulted in an increase of 93.71% in visitors to their ‘’ Free Trial’’ page.
5. Be Ready For Change
“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I’m wise so I’m changing myself.” – Rumi
Life is all about taking stock of yourself and your efforts. No one in the world of content marketing will ever be successful without a willingness to stay abreast of the ever-evolving business models, new technologies, new techniques and other frequent changes.
Look no further than Google’s seemingly constant algorithm updates. Failing to stay on top of updates like this (and other updates across a wide array of digital platforms and tactics) can be detrimental to you business.
6. Understand what’s trending
One tool I like to use is Google Trends. Just type your main keyword in the search box. This will help you to get a good idea of how popular your main idea is during a particular time period. Always give your target audience what they want.
7. Focus on reaching different generations with flexible content
Flexible content is basically content that upholds effective interaction across various platforms. Luxury Daily claims that 48% of consumers would rather shop using their cell phones while inside a store. Other’s would rather stay at home and shop Amazon, and still others would rather eliminate technology from the shopping experience altogether.
This trend is new and it’s gaining a lot of fresh ground these days in digital marketing. Different preferences often depend on age and other demographics
Your target audience should be able to get a hold of your content via the internet and then follow through on their purchases utilizing your mobile app or simply visit your store and make a purchase. Give them options and be flexible.
8. Perform an analysis to understand what people are searching
One way to stay abreast of your competition is by using tools like Semrush.com to conduct keyword research. Conduction simple Google searches can uncover valuable insights as well.
For example, type in something like “beginners advice to blogging”, then you’ll be able to see your competitors and what’s showing up in that space. This can give you an idea of the type of content you should be creating.
9. Use tools like Udemy to learn and grow
The more you study credible marketing models, the greater you improve your critical thinking skills. You can find some of the most effective marketing models by studying Udemy courses (free-of-charge).
For example, if you just want to get ideas for arranging and designing your article under module titles there’s no need to pay for the course itself.
- Go to Udemy.com and type your main keyword search (e.g., link building SEO) inside the search box. Then simply hit enter.
- Investigate the courses, pick one that is relevant to your keyword, then click on it to view the modules.
- Take concepts from the module. You can locate your specific subject as you scroll down the list.
Last but not least you can greatly benefit from someone who has already done much of the well-needed research for you!
Using these 10 effective marketing strategies is guaranteed to increase your website and or blog traffic!
Enjoyed reading the blog? Sign up for our bi-monthly newsletter to receive marketing news and advice.Follow me:
- Marketing 101: Creating Buyer Personas and Setting Goals - April 23, 2020
- 9 Effective Marketing Tactics That Will Boost Your Site Traffic and Leads - February 15, 2020