A major challenge SaaS businesses encounter today is keeping their users interested for a longer time-period. It is important that you optimize your SaaS web design if you do not wish to lose your users.
Having the best SaaS product idea is simply not enough if you do not have a development strategy that utilizes good UI/UX methods. Today, the most complex pieces of software written are found in SaaS applications; especially those with a B2B focus.
With the appropriate UI/UX methods, you can get rid of user frustration, reduce your customer churn rate, help users understand your platform and its functions easily and express your brand personality to the users.
Here are a few ways in which you can develop an amazing SaaS application using effective UI/UX methods:
- Simplified Sign-ups: The sign-up/register process is the first and foremost point of contact a user goes through when using a SaaS web application. As the saying goes, the first impression is the last impression! That is why it is necessary to only ask your users for the necessary details and not bombard them with a lengthy sign-up process.
Initially, having short sign up forms and later, allowing the user to add extra/optional details will be much more convenient for them. Short forms also ensure that the customer does not get irritated and exits the SaaS application mid-way.
While planning how to go about creating your sign-up form, do not forget to add a Call-To-Action (CTA). For example, you can ask the customer to “Sign up for free”, “Subscribe now” or “Get started”. CTAs will grab the user’s attention and increase the likelihood of them going through the registration process.
- Impress the Audience with Clear On-boarding: Coming up with a solid onboarding strategy is important because it is during the onboarding stage where the customer decides whether to stay on your web application or to search for alternatives.
You can highlight two or three advantages of using your application for your user and how it can solve their problems. Adding a guide that tells users how to utilize your application can also prove to be instrumental in keeping your users interested.
Do not overwhelm users with extensive instructions on how to use your tool. Use creative visuals, demos and short video content to introduce them to your product. This way your user can directly start using the features and experience how your application works.
- Create an Appealing Dashboard: A majority of SaaS web applications will have a dashboard that displays an overview of the tools and services being offered to the user. When the user logs in to their accounts, the first thing they view is their dashboard. Thus, it is even more important to create an engaging dashboard that informs the user about new updates, displays their past activities or helps them track their progress.
Using visuals such as charts and graphs can help the users understand what was going on when they were not on the site and lists can also help users keep a track of activities they need to do.
You can also highlight any problem areas, suggestions, tips or any piece of information you need to convey to your users on the dashboard.
- Keep your Layout Minimal: One of the most important things you need to keep in mind while designing your web application layout is that it should be easy to navigate. Keep it simple and minimal when it comes to design. Users may get confused if your interface is complex and crowded.
Your dashboard should have all the important links and there should be a vertical or a horizontal menu displaying specific information. Basic is the best when it comes to UI/UX design.
You can also customize your layout keeping in mind what your target audience is looking for. One of the best examples for this is Udemy. Udemy is targeting three different groups of people: students, teachers and businesses.
It displays a different call to action button for each group clearly so that the users can get the best experience on their web-application. There is a discount offer for students being displayed at the top, a ‘Udemy for business’ bar and a ‘Teach on Udemy’ bar.
- Make sure Help and Support Systems are Accessible: No design is perfect! No matter how simple you keep your website design, there is always a chance that your user can get stuck. Your help and support system must be easily accessible to your users no matter where they are in your web application. If your user has to look for help, they will get frustrated.
Include an FAQ section addressing all the popular questions posed by previous users. You can also add chat bots for users who may prefer that (especially when you are targeting a younger audience).
Many companies are going after the SaaS model as it is scalable, cost-effective, easy to maintain and allows for customization.
To stand out from the competition, it is important that your SaaS web design is focused on the needs of your users. Developing your SaaS application will always be an ongoing process, with a constant need for modifications and alterations. You can learn how to develop and design a successful SaaS web application based on user reviews or feedback. Adding relevant information from time-to-time is also a good practice if you want your users to stick with you. Follow the above mentioned methods to develop a successful SaaS web design.
Enjoyed reading the blog? Sign up for our bi-monthly newsletter to receive marketing news and advice.Follow me:
- How to Develop a SaaS Web Design Utilizing Good UI/UX Methods - July 20, 2020