Oh, the wonderful world of marketing. Actually, there are times when it’s not so wonderful. There are times when it can be downright boring actually. Marketing mundane products can be a real pain, but the right copywriting can get you out of that and make it interesting.
What is Mundane Marketing?
Mundane marketing is easily characterized by several points.
- The product itself is boring.
- The product is used universally or nearly so.
- The product is universally known by the majority of people.
- Numerous companies sell the product with little to no difference in between competitor versions.
- Attracting customers through marketing for the product is difficult.
This is the problem at hand. Now, you might wonder what copywriting is.
What is Copywriting?
Copywriting is a specific writing style. It is designed to help companies in the area of marketing and connecting with their target audience. Sometimes, copywriting can mean the difference between a company making profit or suffering losses. Here are some reasons that companies use copywriting.
- Promote awareness of a company
- Promote awareness of a company’s product
- Promote a sale or other event for a company
- Convince customers to use one company’s product over a competitor
- Generate interest in a product
- Convince customers to go out and buy a company’s product or use a service
Is There Any Strategy Involved in Copywriting?
Absolutely! Copywriting can really make a major difference in a company’s sales of a particular product. This aspect of marketing is very important to a company, especially when the product or service is something mundane or boring.
In fact, a product like batteries is quite mundane. However, copywriting can help move product off the shelves. Sure, there is little difference between one company’s battery and another. With the right copywriting, though, one company’s product will fly off the shelves while another can’t sell for anything.
In cases like this, it takes much more than just good spelling, grammar and graphics. It takes some creativity and the use of some strategy to make a product stand out from the rest. Let’s look at some ways in which to help break that mundane mold and make things interesting.
Strategies for Interesting Copywriting
The following are some things that you can do to make your copywriting more interesting to the reader and help your product, service, or subject stand out from the crowd:
- Create an interesting, yet to the point headline
- Create an interesting subhead
- Use short paragraphs in the body
- Use funny or eye-catching graphics or images
- Appeal to the reader’s inquisitive nature
- Appeal to the reader’s sense of humor
In case you are wondering exactly how to go about doing this, here are some steps you can take to craft the perfect copywriting for your subject or product (Hint: it all centers around research).
- Look up some lesser-known facts about the product you are trying to market (history, unconventional uses, etc.)
- Research social media to find out what types of questions customers ask about the product
- Find answers to those questions, doing so in an interesting way
- Find or create interesting graphic images that appeal to the eye or the humorous aspect
- Make use of similes, metaphors, and analogies
- Think unconventional
Putting it All Together
Now that you’ve done your homework, it’s time to put everything together. Create a draft using everything that you have found and read it a couple of times. Does it grab your attention? Are you interested in reading what you wrote?
If you are, try it out on some friends and family, stressing that you need an objective opinion. If you score favorably with your test readers, then you can confidently put the copywriting out to the public. Congratulations, you have just taken something mundane and transformed it into something interesting.Follow me:
Latest posts by Jeremiah Scarlett (see all)
- Standing Out: Copywriting Your Way Out of Mundane Marketing - December 9, 2015